background

Monday, March 4, 2013

Arizona Missions Trip: Grand Canyon and Sedona


Arizona really is a beautiful state! There is so many sights to see, places to go, and food to eat!

On the way to Flagstaff, we pulled up at this little beauty. It was an old store that had all kinds of neat things to look at and buy. I loved the group that we traveled with because they were all about taking our time and having fun!
Kaitlyn and I posing with an Indian!


Kaitlyn and Jonathon did NOT go into a Saloon...just happened to be there.;)


So, out of all the neat things to buy in the old general store, Bro. Harper came out with these 3 suckers for my boys! Yes, those are REAL scorpions inside the sucker. According to the lady behind the register, these are quite ok to eat, and even tasty too!

This was my favorite purchase by the group--a homemade Lemon Pie!We saved these to eat at the restaurant in Flagstaff. Mrs. Tina had looked up a neat place to eat according to the famous show on the Food Network, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. This Mexican restaurant was excellent with a salsa bar for your chips!


In front of the sign!
The next stop was the Grand Canyon! I think the Grand Canyon is about 3 1/2 hours from Gilbert, and maybe 2 hours from Flagstaff? We had reservations at the Bright Angel Lodge on Valentines Day! I know I will never have a Valentines as nice as this---it was such a special memory!







My favorite part was the green door!

David and Tina Williams with Myron and I!
These little cabins were the perfect place to stay at the snowy Grand Canyon. In just a minutes walk out the front door, you are looking at the beautiful sight of the Grand Canyon!



Taking a walk before our bus sunset tour of the Grand Canyon!


We all decided the best way to see the Grand Canyon would be on a bus tour! The tour included 3 or 4 scenic stops with the last stop being a sunset view! Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anything as beautiful and majestic as the Grand Canyon. It's so hard to explain--its beauty is truly amazing!
First look at the Grand Canyon---NO bars!
So you all know that I have such a wonderful hubby, in fact, he's my best friend and soul mate! I love him dearly! However, while most couples like to take the time to do this:


She will kill me--sweet picture of Jonathon and Kaitlyn at Sunset of Grand Canyon!
My Husband would rather be doing this.......HA...(Just Kidding!!) He loved making everyone laugh by throwing snow balls into the canyon. I will have to be honest, his fun spunky personality is one of the many reason why I just can't live without him!

Although these are all iphone pics, they are still amazing!!

Myron's FAVORITE part of the bus tour, we saw several Bucks!



I think one of the craziest experiences of my life, was standing on this ledge with no rails at all! It is very scary, especially not knowing what my crazy sweet husband will do next!ha

The awesome group we went with----we had the BEST time!

I love Mrs. Rose!! WHO doesn't!!

After the tour, we ate at a really nice restaurant inside the Canyon. It was such a sweet Valentine's Day! After dinner, Jonathon, Kaitlyn, Myron and I walked to a shop and then to our cabins. I loved our experience at the Grand Canyon! I'm sure I'll visit many times when all of you come to visit us in Gilbert!!

Friday on the way to Sedona, we stopped at many scenic spots to look around and take pictures. Sedona was such a neat town and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous!




Myron and a Cowboy??


A BIG ice cream cone!
I think what is SO neat about Arizona is that you can be in Gilbert at this time of year with beautiful 70 degree weather, and then travel about 3 1/2 hours to the Grand Canyon and see snow! Sedona was beautiful and the shopping was a neat experience!
Mryon and I enjoyed this neat restaurant--check out that scenery!!

 
This had to be the prettiest spot in Sedona! Yes, that is a church built right into the rocks! The view was amazing and the rocks are stunning!
 

 

 
On the way home, Mr. Mike and Kaitlyn really wanted a picture with a BIG cactus. Ok, I did too! So we pulled off the road, went under a barb-wired fence, and took a picture with these beauties! They may be prickly but they really are beautiful!



Myron, Me, Mrs. Karen and Mr. Mike! LOVE them!
We got to our hotel in Gilbert around 6 and went to eat shortly after at Famous Daves BBQ at the SanTan Village. I LOVE the shopping at the SanTan! I really look forward to going there quite frequently when we move this summer! This was our last meal as a group because some had to part ways to head home. When we were all saying Goodbye, I started to get emotional! WHAT is wrong with me! I had to keep telling myself that they weren't leaving me, I was going with them!ha

I couldn't wait to get home and get my hands on these 3 Boys! Wow, I sure did miss them like crazy!


I wanted to end this post with a text I got from a friend while on this trip. I never dreamed that I would end up in Arizona. In fact, I probably would have never picked it. Let's be honest, it is a very beautiful place with awesome people, but it is very far (like 36 hours) from home. It may not be MY exact plan for my life, but what IS our plan and has always been is to follow God's Will. Period. We both promised Him early on in life that we would go ANYwhere.  Honestly, that is an easy thing to promise God when there are no kids involved, no home that you love, no life-long friends that you have made. It gets harder when all of your life seems so perfect where you are. But, I'm letting go of my life here surrounded by the best family and friends that I could ever want, to submit to God's will and see just what He has up "His Sleeve" for our family. I really can't wait to find out!


No comments:

Post a Comment