background

Thursday, January 10, 2013

How it All Began- Part 1

How did it all begin? If I were to tell you how we got to where we are today, I would have to take you back to a hot day in early June! My parents graciously agreed to watch the boys so Myron and I could head to our favorite restaurant. I knew that Myron seemed to be in an overly excited mood, but brushed it off because generally he is always in a great mood.  Right after we ordered, with a grin on his face he asked me, "Julie, you know how you said if were to go Pastor a church somewhere, that you would hope it would be hot and sunny?" (I always jokingly said I would prefer hot over cold to get my 3 wild indians out of the house to play!) At that point, I knew where this was going! As he slid a big folder of papers to me he said, "How does Arizona sound?"  
That is where it all began.
Heritage FWB Church
I knew Myron (and I) had been praying for months, really years, where the Lord would have us go. We both felt the pull to Missions early on in our lives, and we never gave up on that burden. Honestly, we were in a very comfortable place. We minister at THE best church alongside the best staff, and our favorite Preacher and wife in the world! We really mean that. The Preacher and Mrs. Brenda are so special to us, and we have been so blessed to work under them. We loved our small groups SS Class and the friendship that we had formed. We loved ministering to them and living life with these friends. I loved our Mom's group, and had a burden to see it it grow even more. Myron loved his job, often calling it the "dream job." He loved ministering to missionaries and visiting them each year to serve! He worked hard with our Discipleship program, and assisting our Preacher in any way he could.  Really, we were comfortable. We love our home near my family, love our school and church, and have great friends; what more could we want? It's home.....its the best place to raise a family....

But God had other plans.

Heritage FWB Church
Goldsboro has always been home to me. It is where all of my side of the family lives, and we love it here. Family is a big part of our lives, of the boys' lives- we enjoy lots of cookouts and Sunday lunches. We never miss a birthday and we love to go shopping and eat lunches together as often as possible. We live right down the street from my parents, in fact, they have to pass our house just to go to work each day. The boys haved loved living this close. (they tell everyone that Naya and Papa are moving, too! oops!) Would the boys be ok living so very far from family? (36 hours!!)
Teen Building
Goldsboro (FCA) is where I attended school, and I really wanted my boys to have that same experience. FCA is the kind of school that is rare, hard to come by. FCA is where I made so many important decisions that would affect me the rest of my life. I was blessed with so many different Godly influences on my life. Would my boys turn out right without its influence?
Goldsboro is a small town with a Air Force Base. (without that it would be a ghost town!) While driving to church, it is not unusual to pass deer in the fields or get behind a big tractor! I've lived in a 1 mile radius for all of my life (except for 10 months-while we lived in TN for Myron to complete his Masters). Really, Goldsboro is all I know. Would my boys turn out right living in a huge city with no cotton fields and deer to hunt?;)
                                       
These are all the thoughts that were racing through my head as I scanned through the folder Myron slid to me across the table in Outback. To be honest, I knew at that moment that this was it. Heritage Church in Gilbert, AZ, was where the Lord wanted us. But, I did not give in to the idea that easily. Of course, Myron knew that I would follow him as He followed God. But my heart sank as I thought about all the changes that were headed my way, if this was it.  After we ate our dinner, we decided to head to Starbucks, which is so not us, but sounded good because they had free Wi-fi. We googled and did some research about this place called, "Gilbert." I had never heard of it. I knew of Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables, and thats about it.
 
I smiled on the outside, but in my heart, a battle against the decision of God's Will or my own will began that would last too long.

One of the Preschool Sunday School Rooms
From that moment, everything went super fast and we never experienced a red flag. We told my parents and after a few tears (some happy and some sad!), we all decided that we would pray and visit to see if this is what God wants. Did I mention I was 34 weeks pregnant? And it was August? Wow, Arizona did not make a very good first impression to this hot way-to-pregnant lady!
After we landed in hot Phoenix, we got in our rental car and decided to view the city. Wow, it was so different, beautiful and hot. (Have I mentioned it was so hot?) Mistakingly, I even left my make-up bag in the car that would later be found in a puddled-mess! I loved the palm trees and tried to picture us raising the boys in the big city. It seemed exciting, adventurous and extremely scary all at the same time. My stomach was in knots the entire trip. 
Education Building- Sadly, the school closed down 2 years ago. A Charter School now rents out the facilities.
While on the trip, I asked the Lord for 3 personal things.
 
I knew that if He showed Myron that we were supposed to move to Gilbert, I would follow! But, I really wanted for Him to show it to me, too. I asked him to make it known that this was God's will by something personal, not sure what, just personal---to me. I asked that He would allow me to meet one friend that I could depend on and connect with. Finally, I asked that he would lead us to a great school, that was similar to FCA.  Big Requests, but we have a  even Bigger God! (More on how He answered in Part 2!)
 When we drove up to the church, we were blown away. The campus is beautiful and there really is so much potential. The campus is located in a prime area, on a busy highway! We were eager to meet Bro. Thompson, the 84 year old Pastor who had moved his family from Ohio to plant the church 29 years ago.
 
From the first hello and to the last goodbye of the trip, we fell in love with Bro. Thompson. He is well aquainted with both sides of my grandparents, and is so sweet and humble. He has given his entire life to this ministry and to God. What a sweet blessing he has already been to our family.
I loved the arched walkways that lead from the Preschool to the Main Building. Such a beautiful Campus.
The first day of the trip, we viewed the campus and talked with Bro. Thompson for hours. We went to his home on campus, and enjoyed lunch together. Our heads were spinning as we tried to picture ourselved there--really the potential is overwhelming. It is no secret that the church is in dire need of financial help. It was once a vibrant growing church with a large congregation and a beautiful Christian School. However, with many unfortunate situations the church is left with major debt and with no way to support a Pastor.

We know that with God's help and resources, we can see it flourish again.
The beautiful gym has a stage and full kitchen. It is surrounded by many classrooms that are vacant.
 When I think back to our trip in August, I really can see God's hand in every cirumcstance. We had prayed for so long, and He has answered our prayers. Is it going to be easy? No way. Am I going to miss my family extremely bad? Yes, everyday. However, we are so excited to be used of God. He has a big plan for us, and I can't wait to see it unfold!

In the next few posts, you will find many more pictures from our trip in August, and I will share how God answered my personal prayer requests. Check out our family website and follow my blog as I take you on our journey (with 3 wild cowboys) to the Wild West!

1 comment:

  1. We just read your new blog Julie...very sweet and from your heart. We appreciate your honesty about how it all came about and yes, you know that wherever your husband is called...you would go for that is the way the Lord planned it.
    Something you do not know about your grandmother may be interesting to you. Two years before the Lord called us to India, my only sister Gerry, was having major heart surgery at Mayo Clinic. Grandpa and I always had missions in our hearts and many missionaries in our home. But the Holy Spirit was working in my heart..tears are rolling as I write..for I was sitting with dad and mom in a little apartment..and I was weeping. Daddy said, "Barbara, what is wrong with you?" I said, "Daddy, I don't know but I feel the Lord is calling us to a mission field"! I never told my husband or anyone...so two years later when grandpa came home from a Nashville for a meeting, God was working in his heart about going to India as missionaries, and he said to me, "Barbara, how would like to go to India as missionaries"...my response shocked grandpa, when I said, "I would love it Joe!" God had already prepared my heart..what a loving Lord we serve. We have prayed and prayed for you both since your marriage that the Lord would lead you to a mission field for we (in talking to Myron and you) knew where your heart was...with the "Heartbeat of Jesus"..Worldwide Missions...Math. 9:36-38..we love you both so much and pray all the time for you both and your boys....grandpa and grandma

    ReplyDelete